Corona Virus (COVID-19) in Galápagos: Is it safe to travel?
Last updated: July 23, 2021
Already in March 2021 (!) the Galápagos Islands became the first region in South America where all residents received COVID-19 vaccination! Since July 1, 2021, anyone entering Ecuador and the Galápagos Islands must use one of the following three options to enter the country:
- Documentation that certifies they have received the full doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, OR
- A negative PCR or antigen test certificate, taken up to three days before arrival in Ecuador, or Galápagos
If you booked a cruise with us and need a COVID-19 test, please email us for a list of authorized labs in Quito where you can carry out a PCR test. We can also assist you in arranging for a COVID-19 test upon return to your home country!
Please contact us if you have any questions or want to book!
Why right now is the perfect moment to book your Galápagos cruise
The pandemic has unsettled many travelers and spread insecurity among those, who were planning their next trip. However, we can assure you that you can benefit from booking your Galápagos trip right now, and here is why:
- the Galápagos Islands are the first region in South America where all residents are fully vaccinated. The risk of exposure to COVID-19 on site is therefore less likely than in most European countries and the Americas
- entering the islands fully vaccinated is as easy as pre-Covid (all travelers who are not vaccinated will have to present a negative PCR or antigen test certificate)
- Galápagos' flora and fauna were able to flourish undisturbed during this global standstill. While many people are still hesitant to book, destinations remain untouched and pristine. The wildlife has given itself the license to interact with its surroundings in new, surprising ways. To name just one example; wild sea lions have been spotted walking through one of the islands’ towns, as if it were a common thing for them to do. Experience the true and natural face of Galápagos!
- profit from the added security of our COVID-19 cancellation policy (see below)
- there are many special offers for travelers, who book their trip now. This also includes trips in the more distant future
You can view our special offers here.
Our COVID-19 cancellation options
- If we cancel due to COVID-19 related travel restrictions, you get a full refund
- If you have to cancel due to COVID-19 related issues, we can rebook you at no charge to later in 2021 or with price difference to 2022
You can find all of our terms and conditions here.
Together with authorities and the ship operators, Galapatours have created a compressive sanitary manual for all future operations. Because of the small number of passengers and crew members, as well as the nature of the trips, where there is absolutely no contact with other groups of humans, Galápagos' small and midsize expedition vessels present optimum conditions for a safe, healthy and unforgettable experience.
Each of our ships has been given new safety standards to ensure the safest travel with cleaning and distancing measures. They undergo daily deep cleaning, with higher intensity in more frequented areas. All our staff has been trained in biosecurity protocols, and ship operators have also rearranged mealtimes, briefings, dinghy occupancy, and use of common areas to support physical distancing. Hand sanitizer or handwashing will be required every time when boarding and at mealtimes (before and after).
Safe Travel certified!
Having this certification means that all our ships have implemented the COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols created by the WTTC (World Travel & Tourism Council), which consider recommendations from both the WHO and CDC.
Our goal is to reassure our clients that most of our ships are safe places to travel. For more information on what it means to be Safe Travel certified, please follow this link.
If you have any further questions about COVID-19 related regulations, please e-mail us!