Do I need to take any precautions to stay healthy in Galapagos?
At Galapatours we only work with boat operators who adhere to the highest standards of hygiene and food safety, and who only use the best equipment. Away from your cruise boat, we are unable to vouch for the practices of other service providers you may encounter, so you should take some sensible precautions.
The food, drink and ice provided on all our Galapagos cruise vessels is perfectly safe and can be enjoyed without worry. Bottled water is always provided, and we recommend you use this for brushing your teeth as the water from the taps in your cabin is, of course, stored in tanks for the duration of your journey.
Away from your cruise boat
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or hand sanitizer;
- Away from your Galapatours boat drink only bottled or boiled water, or carbonated (bubbly) drinks in cans or bottles. Avoid tap water, fountain drinks, and ice cubes in uncertain areas.
- Eat only thoroughly cooked food or fruits and vegetables.
- To prevent fungal and parasitic infections, keep your feet clean and dry, and do not go barefoot unless your guide says it is fine to do so. This doesn't apply on board your yacht or on sandy Galapagos beaches;
- Don’t eat food purchased from street vendors;
- Don’t handle any animals, to avoid bites and serious diseases.